Monday, January 27, 2014

The past is behind you... do you really want to go back?

The other morning, I was listening to some of the back episodes of the Jilliam Michaels podcast and part of the segment, she was talking about living in or looking back at your past.

It is your past... do you really want to go back there?

Think back to where you were 10 years ago...  where were you working? Who were your friends, what was your relationship with like with your family?  What was important to you?  How is that different that what you have today?

If you changed things from 10 years ago, how would that affect what you have and who you are today?  If you were to go back 10 years, would you really be happier?  Armed with the knowledge that you have now, would that really make life better?

When I look back 10 years, there are good things and there are not so good things. I has just left a job that I really enjoyed,  moved to a new city with my son (he was 5) over 2 hours away from my family (to be closer to the wonderful man that is now my husband), left behind many friends (and found out who my true friends were!), had NO job.  Now, I have so much more that I could have ever realized at the time!  I have some great friends, my husband and I have been married for 7 years.  I changed careers and have a job that I love with some amazing coworkers.  Even though my family is over 2 hours away, we still keep in touch and we see them on a fairly regular basis (especially thanks to social media and so many other advances in technology!).  I am still the same person I was back then, but I am also very different!  10 years ago, I would never have even thought about running a 5k (or even spending time at the gym or doing much exercising!) and now I training for a full marathon.  But that is just one example of how things change.  I could fill the rest of this posts with how things have changed, but is not the point of my post today.

If you are reveling in the "good ol' days" how can you live in the present and enjoy what you have today?  What if this is the best moment of your life but you are so caught up in reminiscing about the past that you miss what you have right now?  If you are living in the past, you could be missing that moment that is now.  I am going to make sure that I go out every day and enjoy what I have, live for today and make sure that I get everything out of life that I can!

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with remembering the past and enjoying the memories that made you who you are today.  I have some amazing memories from the past that I will always enjoy going back to, remembering the days, or even moments.  But remembering these moments and living in the past are two different things.

If you are anything like me, you have changed and grown so much over the years.  If there was something from a time in the past that you really enjoyed, but don't have now, what do you need to get that feeling again?  If it was a job, what was it about that job that you enjoyed?  Why not go out and find that same enjoyment in a job in today.

Your not dead yet.  Don't live in the past.  Live your today for everything that it can be and is.  This could be your best moment ever and you don't' want to miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment