Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tough week!

This past week (technically 5 days, but close enough) has been the toughest for me!  I never thought it would be so hard NOT to run!

Last week I noticed my right knee hurting a bit during my workout with my trainer.  I contributed it to my hardcore three days in a row.  It started out win a 30 mile bike ride on Sunday, then intense workout with Wendy and her trainer on Monday (thanks Christian for inviting me to join you and Wendy!). Finally Tuesday was my workout with my trainer.  By the time I was nearing the end of this workout, I noticed that my knee was bothering me when I was doing my single leg squat jumps as well as a few other things.  Per my trainers suggestions, I was taking the weekend off from running.  He did give me the ok to do my 5 mile training run that Matt and I had planned for the following evening.  However, there were conditions - if my knee started to bother me, I had to stop running.  Then once that run was complete, no running over the weekend.

Training run on Wednesday started out well! First 3 miles we maintained a 10 minute mile pace.  At about 3.8 miles, Matt slowed to wait for me to make sure all was ok.  I told him that I thought the knee felt a little tight but I was fine.  Not ok with him though... He made me stop and we walked the rest of the way together.  Apparently he could tell it was bothering me because I slowed down.  I had not even realized it! 4th mile I slowed to 12 minutes.  Once we walked the rest of the way back to the car we put in 5.18 miles in just a hair over an hour!  No complaints from me seeing as we walked about 1.2 miles.  Some ice on the knee when we got home just to be safe and I was good to go!


I was going to hit the "gym" in the basement for a quick upper body/arm workout on Thursday after we went out for dinner, but I was told that I needed to just go home and rest (thanks to those of you know how stubborn I can be and told me I needed to just take a night and rest!).  So I did just that - a glass of wine outside with my Women's Running Magazine compliments of Wendy (thanks again!).

I did get in the short workout at the gym after work on Friday to get in the upper body workout that I wanted to do on Thursday, but that was only after I promised to not do anything that would put pressure on my knee (I will have to make up for those squats Patty on another day!) and that I would not jump on the treadmill.

Over the next 4 days, not running was one of the hardest things I have done in a long time!  I managed to keep myself busy enough all weekend so that I didn't get bored.  I knew that if I got bored, I was going to want to run!

Last night I did hit the treadmill in the basement for a run.  Figured that, even though I hate running on the treadmill, that was my best option.  That way, if after a few miles my knee started hurting, I wouldn't have to worry about how I was going to get home.  I ran the first mile and was feeling good.  No knee pain, but after not running for 4+ days, my muscles were tight.  After the first mile, I slowed and walked for the next mile.  Still feeling good, muscles reacting well and feeling good!  I did a combination of running and walking for the next mile and ended up finishing my 3 miles in 30 minutes!  I will take it!

This morning, I saw this posted from Fellow Flowers and I realized how true this is!  I know that I want to keep running and pushing myself to achieve all of goals that I have for myself, but I also I need to make sure that I don't push myself that hard all the time!  I have a wonderful support team that keeps reminding me that I don't need to push it so hard all the time and I and forever grateful for that! Over the next month or so, I am doing a few 5k's, but the next Half Marathon isn't until Mid August.  I will keep myself on track for training for that, but I will also remember that I need to take some time to just float!

When I went to the gym tonight to meet with BJ, I received the ok to get back to running!  I just have to remember pay attention to my knee and walk for a while if it starts hurting.

Training run with Matt tomorrow (weather permitting) and I am ready!  Color Run in Madison on Saturday with Beth and Chad!  Let's get ready to have some fun!!




No comments:

Post a Comment