Saturday, May 31, 2014

Super Saturday: Scheels 5k run + Summer Slimdown kick off = an AWESOME morning!

What a morning!

Back in February when I signed up for the Scheels Run for Home 5k, I figured it would be just another early Saturday race morning... little did I know this was going to be the same day as the Summer Slimdown Challenge kickoff at the gym!  I had to figure out how I was going to be able to pull this off... especially since the 5k was in Appleton (a 30 minute drive from the gym!) at 8am and the kickoff started at 8:30 (first workout started at 9am)!

Thankfully the crew at the gym was very accommodating and put my challenge partner Lisa and I in the 10am workout.  I just had no time to waste between finishing my run and getting to the gym.
In the stadium, before the run
So, I was up at 5am and out the door by six.  Breakfast was a Banana and some Spark on the drive.  I was at the stadium for the run to pick up my race packet by 6:30.  It was nice to get down there early so I had time to finish waking up, get in some good stretching and relax a bit before my insane morning started.  Once we got closer to race time, I downed my energy bits, and was just waiting to start!

 Feet don't fail me now!
 I always have liked this race.  The course changed this year tho and we were not running through the FVTC campus.  It was just hitting the trail near it and then one of the residential areas.  I had a feeling it was going to get warm quick out there once we got started because there was not a cloud in the sky.

The race itself was good!  I cruised through the first 2 miles, feeling good and maintaining my pace.  If I could keep this pace, I knew I had a chance on actually hitting my 5k PR.  The blazing sun had other plans for me.  Once I hit the 2 mile marker the glaring sun was really doing a number on me.  There was not a cloud in the sky so it only intensified how warm I was already feeling.  I ended up slowing my pace and did actually have to walk part of it so that I didn't over heat. I can really tell that I got accustomed to running in the cold temps from this past winter and my body is still adjusting to running in the sun and heat!

In the end, I still ended up finishing in 29:40, good enough for 5th in my age group!  I am not going to complain about that one bit!  Anything under 30 minutes in the direct sun is a win in my book!  I would have loved to have stuck around to catch up with everyone else that was running, but there was not time!  I needed to cool off, change out of my running shoes to let me feet breathe for a bit, get some water and Rehydrate in me and hit the road.

I was on the road back to Green Bay before 9am!  I was going to have time to spare... maybe!
Lisa and I pre-workout.  It all starts here!

I made it to the gym around 9:30, got checked in, measurements done and change back into my other shoes!  The first group was well into their workout and I could tell this was going to take everything I had left in me!

Lisa was already there and filled me in on what we were going to get to do... yes, GET to do.  We signed up for this!  No turning back now.  We were on a mission.  Since we needed to come up with a team name, the first thing that popped into my head  was me dear friend Tori and her dad... the Tortoise and the Hare.  They are both amazing people that are part of the awesome team that keeps me inspired to do many of the crazy things that I do!  Lisa's first response was "I hope I get to be the tortoise!" so I guess I am the hare... It's a challenge that I will gladly accept!

We tackled the workout with everything we had.  6 exercises, 5 minutes each... Burpees, Kettle Bell Thrusters, Sprints, Wall Balls, Tire flips, high five push-ups... 2 minutes in between so move from one station to the next.  Not really sure if starting with burpees was a good thing or bad... Good that we got them out of the way right away, but that they just might kill me! (aside from the few I did at the gym Wednesday morning, I have not done burpees in 5 weeks, PT orders!).  We did it, and we did it with a smile on our face.

In the end, I am proud of what we did!  There were times that I was ready to be done.  We pushed through and put up some good numbers!  I was really worried that my run earlier this morning was going to be a huge factor in my workout.  I am not saying that it was NOT a factor, I just thought that it was going to be worse.  I am sure that my tomorrow afternoon I'll be singing a different tune (but fingers crossed that's not the case!

How hard did we work?  My headband it a good showing of that - there is even dirt from the tire flips mixed it with the liquid awesome!  Today was the first day of our new summer adventure!  I am curious to see where we are com August when we get to do this same crazy workout again!  I am so excited that Lisa decided to join me for this challenge and I know that we are going to have fun with it!!


Now that the fun is over... this girl needs to eat and then put my feet up and relax for a bit!

Post workout fuel! 

Calf sleeves and flip flops!  Score!
I pulled off a combination of workouts today that I would have never even considered a year ago.  Many times over the course of the last 2 years, I have wanted to give up, even questioned why I was doing everything that I was doing.  But then I look back at everything that I have already done and the things that I am considering doing in the future, I would not have it any other way.  Plus, over the course of this crazy adventure in the last year and a half I have made been blessed with countless people along the way that have supported, encouraged and motivated me to keep moving forward.

Some day I may not be able to do these things... today is NOT that day!

Remember, keep your eye on what you want... you WILL get there!  I know I am not there yet, but eventually, I will be!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on a fantastic day and on experiencing something your *old self* wouldn't dream of doing! That latter is a huge win in my book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! It was definitely a challenge but I am glad that I did it! The old me would have probably just skipped the 5k, but I figured why not! What do I really have to lose?

      Delete