Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I have officially committed myself...

Yesterday was the first day of my new fitness adventures at Fitness Renegades, but we will get to more on that in a different post.

Today was the big day.... Registration for the 15th annual Cellcom Green Bay Marathon events opened at 10am.  Last year was the first year that I missed this event in 5 years.  This was the first 5k that I ever did and was one that I always looked forward to each year.  After 3 years of running the 5k, I took the challenge and registered for the Half Marathon.  Deb and I completed the course despite some nasty cold winds.  Due to an injury, I only registered for the 5k in 2012 and was glad that I did, as 2012 was the year of the extreme heat that closed the course early.

Last year we were in Michigan for a wedding, so I had to miss all the events.  I spent the morning, as we were traveling back to Green Bay, getting race updates via text on Matt's progress on his first ever half marathon.  It was during this time that I realized that I really wished that I was out there running with him.  Even though I had just completed the Journey's Half Marathon the weekend before, I wanted to be out there. I wanted to be running.  The realization hit me...  I had somehow, over the last few months truly become a runner.  Which of course, if you have been following my blog over the last 6 months, started a running craze that has covered 3 states now!

After completing 3 half marathons, a few 10K and 5 miles races and countless 5k's, I starting thinking what was next. Where was my next challenge?  Yes, I wanted to continue to improve my 5K and half marathon times, but was there more?  The idea of running a full marathon was a thought that occasionally crossed my mind. I had several friends that started asking me when I was going to run a full marathon.  Could I really handle the distance?  What about all the training time?  Is is more than I can handle? After many long conversations with myself and encouragement from some great friends (and my extremely supportive husband) I decided that I knew what I wanted to do...

and to day I made it official.  I committed myself to my biggest challenge yet...

Shortly after registration opened this morning, I registered for my first FULL MARATHON!  Call me crazy, call my insane, but I am ready for this challenge and know that I have a amazing support team behind me. I decided that if I was going to do a full marathon, the Cellcom marathon was the place to start.  I could train (practically) in my backyard on the course, the amazing company that I work for is the key sponsor and I love running the streets of Green Bay.  Training starts in January and the adventure will begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment