Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sweet Tooth alert!

This afternoon, while sitting at my desk working, I had a ginormous craving for somethign sweet.  Before I headed towards the vending machine to see what I could find, I remembered about my chocolate stash in my desk!  Thanks to a post on Facebook a few weeks ago and a trip to my local Target store, I had a small stash of "Unreal" chocolates in my desk drawer.  Up until that Facebook post a few weeks ago, I had never heard of this brand/company and wanted to give them a try.  For those of you that are not familiar with them, Unreal is "Unjunked candy".  Taken directly from the back of the wrapper:  No Artificials,  No Hydrogenateds,   No Corn Syrups, No Preservatives, No GMOs".  Sounds like a winner to me!

Up until today, I had only tried their Candy Coated Chocolates with Peanuts (ie Peanut M&M's).  Those were not quite as sweet as an M&M and had a very smooth flavor.  My son said that they had a slight carob taste to them.  I had to agree - and I do like carob so I was not going to complain.

Today was the Peanut Butter Cups turn!

WOW!

These are fabulous!  It is probably a good thing that I don't have another package of the in my desk, they would probably be gone!  Taste was wonderful, texture was perfect.  I decided to take a look at the nutritional information for these Peanut Putter Cups, compared to a classic Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.  Overall the fat, calories and carbs were all lower with the Unreal version.  The biggest difference was in the sugar content.  The traditional Reese's has 21g of sugar, while Unreal Peanut Butter Cups only have 11g!  Plus counting the fact that the Unreal does not have any of the "junk" in the Reese's.  Taking into the account that the Unreal does have a lover sugar content as the Reese's  I did notice that I did not get that sugar buzz/headache that I usually get when I eat a Reeses (which is why I hardly ever get them anymore!)

Now before anyone says anything... I know that this is still candy and is not to be eaten daily!  I just know that I am always looking for ways that I can reduce (and eventually eliminate) artificial flavors etc form my diet, without feeling that I am completely depriving myself of occasional indulgences, like candy bars.

(side note)  I did try the regular chocolate candy coated pieces (i.e. &M's) and I did not care for those.  They were not terrible, just not something that I would buy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment